HSD partners AET Europe, the Municipality of The Hague, Deloitte, HackerOne, InnovationQuarter, Institute of Financial Crime, TNO, NOW, Rabobank, Redsocks, Haagse Hogeschool, Ministry of Security & Justice, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, RVO and the NFIA together with HSD Office joined Prime Minister Mark Rutte and Flemish Prime Minister Bourgeois in an economic mission to Atlanta and Washington. The mission’s main topics were fintech, cyber security and smart logistics. One of the highlights for HSD was the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding with The Virginia Economic Development Partnership Authority.
With 16,250 technology businesses responsible for a revenue of around 113 billion USD, Atlanta is seen as one of the US’ main IT-hotbeds. The state of Georgia is the third largest state for cyber security and they are especially strong because of a close connection between the cyber security and financial sectors. Also the area surrounding Washington, in particular Maryland and Virginia, has developed a strong cyber security sector.
The mission also tightened the bond between the Netherlands and Flanders. Prime Minister Rutte wrote on October 8th: “With this second mission, we develop a Dutch-Flemish brand in the world where we can complement each other and where we aren’t competing. Atlanta presents opportunities for cybersecurity, fintech and logistics. Bourgeois and I have agreed that we will further cooperate on this together.
InnovationQuarter cooperated with Ida Haisma (Director HSD) and Hans van Loon (Programme Manager HSD) to promote the HSD, leading to connections with US businesses interested in coming to The Hague as city of peace, justice and security.
Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)
Within the framework of the signed Memorandum, cooperation between The Virginia Economic Development Partnership Authority and HSD will be realised through:
- Promoting trade and partnering between the industry clusters of the Parties’ respective territories;
- Promoting mutual exchanges between business leaders, government officials, academics, students, and the public;
- Promoting R & D opportunities between the Parties and facilitating and promoting joint cooperation for enterprises and research centers between the two regions;
- Exploring opportunities for joint initiatives under the Agreement between the Government of the Kingdom of the Netherlands and the Government of the United States of America on Cooperation in Science and Technology concerning Homeland and Civil Security Matters; and
- Joining the efforts to identify opportunities for commercialization of high value-added technologies and knowledge and helping to matching potential investors, including supporting the sales and marketing of developed products in the related regions.
HSD Partners that are interested in learning more about the opportunities related to this trade mission can contact HSD Office via [email protected] or +31(0)70 2045180.
Interactive Seminar: Strategies for US Market Entry: Opportunities for European Cyber Security Companies
On Wednesday, November 4, 2015 the Fairfax County Economic Development Authority will visit the HSD Campus for a seminar on opportunities for European cyber security companies to enter the US Market.
The main objectives of this seminar are:
1. To update/ increase the knowledge base of companies from the Hague Security Delta and organisations about how to expand internationally and how to do business in the US market. The focus is small and medium enterprises, which are highly specialised and have successfully filled niches in the Netherlands and other parts of Europe, and should take advantage of export opportunities.
2. How to assist these companies in their decisions (also creating more awareness for the Fairfax County/Washington, DC, region as an ideal starting point for Security and Cyber Security companies from the Netherlands).
3. What are the key opportunities and challenges (economic; legal and tax considerations)?
4. What is the most effective approach to building a customer and partner base in U.S.?
5. What are some of the cultural differences in doing business in the U.S. versus the Netherlands?
Read the interview with start up Cyber Sprint in Computable about the results of the mission (Note: article in Dutch)
Read the press release from Fairfax County.