In the September 2014 issue of the Harvard Business Review an article by Upton and Creese was published called ‘The Danger from Within’, focusing on cyber security threats from direct employees and connected companies. Various estimates show that annually more than 80 million of these attacks take place in the United States.
The authors discuss the causes and reasons behind these cyber attacks and bring up five ways to better protect an organisation against such threats:
- “Adopt a robust insider policy at every level of the organisation;
- raise awareness of phishing and other ploys;
- screen new hires thoroughly;
- employ rigorous subcontracting processes;
- and let employees know that you will observe their cyberactivity to the extent permitted by law”.
Click here to read the full article.